Friday 18 September 2015

10 Tips for Doing Nude Photography

Doing nude photography and being successful has a lot to do with manners. The first time I photographed a woman nude was sort of accidental. I was out cycling in my early days as a photographer in Toronto. Ahead of me on a bike was a pretty blond. We came to a red light at a corner and I asked if she had done any modeling. She rolled her eyes and started to move on and I quickly said, 'Wait, wait, I'm a photographer..." pulled out a business card and asked if she would call my wife to see that I was for real. She calmed down pretty quickly at this realizing that I was not trying to pick her up. At this point I had no intention or idea of photographing her nude but when we sat down at my studio a few days later (Yes, she did call my wife and make an appointment), she said that she needed some 'body' pictures. I had a concept that I wanted to try that was actually from a drawing from an old Vogue magazine that I thought would work well for this type of photo.

For the first meeting (before the photo shoot) the model brought a friend. My studio was attached to my living space and my wife was there so she was comfortable enough to come on her own for the shoot. I generally recommend that a model bring someone particularly if there is not another female about. Give that person somewhere comfortable to sit and read a book or magazine. Within speaking distance. Definitely not in the same space where you are taking the pictures.

The photos turned out great. We both liked them and I have had nothing but positive comments in the years since.

Here are some pointers that I consider important:

1. Give the model a place to change (in this case remove her clothes) in private.

2. If she does not have her own, provide a robe that can be worn when not actually shooting.

3. Ask her to wear loose clothing for a couple of hours before arriving and no bra if possible. The reason for this is that the lines on the skin created by the tight clothing can take quite some time to disappear.

4. Have some definite plan in mind of what you want to shoot. This can always change as you go and it is usually fine to ask or invite ideas from your model but if you are controlling the shoot then your model will be less likely to get nervous. Write some ideas down or print off some sample pictures that you want to use for inspiration or 'starting points'. If things slow down you can always check your 'cheat sheet'.

5. Never touch your model. Definitely don't touch her without asking. Ideally, show her. Use a photo or drawing or sit or stand the pose yourself to show what you want. If you need to move her chin to the left or right very slightly or move some hair out of her face, ask if it is OK that you do this and only do that. If she looks uncomfortable, don't do it!

6. Provide some bottled water for her to drink.

7. Never make lewd or suggestive remarks. Be professional in all of your actions. The more relaxed the model is the better the photographs will turn out. This is not to say that one cannot joke or have fun with it. And it is alright to tell her she is beautiful and that you love the poses and that it is going well. But do not make those comments sexual.

8. Make sure that she is comfortable with poses that you are planning. Best to go over this before the shoot. At least the type of pictures that you want to do. And do not ask for poses that you know she will not be comfortable with.

9. No complaining. Make sure that you are well hydrated and fed so that you do not become irritated or "ill mannered". If you did not get enough sleep last night, that is not something you want to talk about.

10. Keep things light and pleasant. You are in control.

It is all about manners really. If your mother didn't teach you any, well then, learn. Read a couple of books. Do some research online. Knowing and using the right manners for any situation can make or break it. If your model asks you a question, do not ignore it. Acknowledge what she says. Listen. It is your shoot so if you try something of hers make sure that you gently take control back afterwards.

Visit Martin's photo site at: http://www.photo-photo.com and his store http://www.etsy.com/shop/faffyrd.

No comments:

Post a Comment